I am currently an assistant professor in the Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics and a faculty affiliate in the Division of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. My research program focuses on how people make food choices, particularly how information and other environmental factors impact those choices. Some specific areas of research include:
- Menu labeling legislation in restaurants (Is it effective? What are better ways to provide nutrition information?)
- Peer effects on food choice behavior
- Food choices in university dining halls (What are students eating? How well do choices match with MyPlate guidelines? How do food choices change over time?)
- Which production claims (e.g., organic, humanely-raised, no antibiotics, etc.) are most important to consumers?
- Consumer perceptions of the USDA organic label (Are perceptions the same across different products? Are perceptions influenced by where the product is sold?)